Folks, it’s happening. We’re hanging up From The Barn. It’s been a decade of musings, laughs, horror, 1-3-1 defenses and shoplifting from Macy’s, but there comes a time in every blog’s life where you gotta call it quits. That day is today. Unfortunately, life is simply getting in the way of our ability to provide the depth of coverage you guys and Gopher basketball deserves, so instead of posting something once every couple weeks and limping along, we’re simply saying goodbye.
Zips is heading over to The Daily Gopher to contribute unnecessary basketball thoughts. JF is going to continue tweeting madly from the rafters at Williams Arena on his own.
The past years have brought excellent discussion, fun arguments and just overall entertainment. And I’ve had a lot of fun doing it. But rather than beat a dead horse and get all misty, we’ll simply leave you with our favorite posts from over the years:
- Oh crap, a 1-3-1 zone. WHAT DO WE DO?! — For a while under Tubby Smith’s tenure (well, really his entire time here) the Northwestern Wildcats ran a 1-3-1 zone that simply stymied the Gophers. They almost literally could not score against it. As such, Minnesota had a tough time beating the Wildcats during Smith’s time here. One day we simply couldn’t take it anymore. To this day this post still gets traffic from people looking how to beat a 1-3-1 zone.
- Three years later, who is Royce White? — Royce White went through some emotional struggles while in college and into the NBA. After being burned by White and seeing him play out the same scenario at different stops along his career path, we openly questioned what his real motivations were. Royce actually hit us up on Twitter to, um, clarify a couple points.
- On a more thoughtful approach to the coaching search — One morning a bunch of lazy Minneapolis columnists were picking on the U for not hiring a new coach fast enough after firing Tubby Smith. It had literally been less than a week. So I angrily called them out and suggested that maybe the search was going just fine. Jeff Goodman at CBS actually picked up the post and linked to it, temporarily breaking the site with inbound traffic.
- Tubby Time has run out in Minnesota — After getting embarrassed by Iowa, we decided it was time to move on from Tubby. Not that this missive led to his firing, but Smith was canned less than a month later.
- The Gophers are good, but don’t say we didn’t tell you so — I remember writing this one, and I’m including it here because it captures the untethered excitement we all felt early 2013 when the Gophers were on top of the world. They’d just destroyed then-#12 Illinois on the road and looked unstoppable. It’s a reminder of where this team can and should be down the road.
Cheers, and thanks for reading all these years.