What’s that? Something good finally happened to the Gopher basketball team. I don’t care who you are playing, the circumstances, or the pre-game predictions, a road win in the Big Ten is huge. Minnesota needed to win to keep the season alive, and they got the job done!
- The seniors finally stepped up today. The team desperately needed someone to right the ship, and Johnson and Westbrook showed toughness and leadership when they needed it most. Westbrook obviously had a ridiculous buzzer beater, and Johnson had 13 points and five rebounds.
- This was Minnesota’s first last minute victory of the year, against something like 6 losses. This has to be a confidence boost.
- Don’t pay attention to Talor Battle’s 20 points. Pay attention to his 19 shots and four turnovers. Cobbs and Joseph played great defense most of the day.
- Are we entering the Ralph Sampson era? He had his third career double-double, and one of the more ridiculous dribble drive baseline dunks by a 7 footer this year. Today was his third straight game in double figures.
- Free throws of all things won the game. The Gophers made 19-25, and five straight to close the game.
We’ll be back later with a full recap. Until then, enjoy the second conference road win of the year!